Monday, February 27, 2012

# 84 - Boags WIZARD SMITH'S

Beer 84 - Boags Wizard Smith's.....first time

I was fortunate to be in Tasmania recently when I came across this brew. The first one was in fact from a tap - in a white ceramic mug, over dinner on the second night of our study tour. It poured a very fluffy white head, unfortunately guarding the physical elements. Just the same, I was extremely impressed with its hoppy almost floral aroma, and a flavour that I was confident had a solid dose of caramalt. It aslo had a likable bitter hop finish - which was not excessive.


Same trip - our major sponsor was kind enough to put on 3 cartons on the last day of the tour. When asked for a couple of helpers to go to the bottle'o, I quickly jumped off the bus - suggesting to Brendan that one of the cartons be Wizard Smith's. Thankfully he obliged -so the second one I had was from a stubby (brown bottle).....and 3rd and 4th! At this stage, still no visual - although I continued to be super impressed with its drinkability, as were many on the bus!


Finally, last day included a tour of Boags Brewery - with a beer tasting at its conclusion. To my surprise it didn't pour the deep amber I had expected, though considerably darker than you standard lager. Fair to say it's become one of my new favourites!

Rating....5





Thought for the Day.....currently working on a blog about the legal consumption of RAW MILK in Australia. Anyone interested in hearing more?

No comments:

Post a Comment